Monday 31 October 2011

On All Hallow's Eve

Today is Halloween. And while typically I have never celebrated by dressing up and foraging for candy... I live Halloween through the exploits of my children, since Halloween is slowly becoming a global event as it finds popularity in more and more countries.

I came across this blog post on 'My Modern Met' about a Ray Villafane pumpkin carver extraordinaire! Villafene does not carve a pumpkin like a typical Jack-o-Lantern but puts an animated face on his carved creations.

When I saw the various animated faces on the pumpkins I immediately knew that these were amazing pieces of art that i HAD to share.




I think the original My Modern Met post sums it up best in (you can click on the post link for more images):

Just when we thought our pumpkin carvings were creative, we ran across these! We've seen Ray Villafane's expert hand at sand sculpting, but his original expertise lies in pumpkin carving. With Halloween creeping up on us, the New York native's pumpkin sculptures are in season. Each wrinkly, orange globe that Villafane digs into is brought to life with an animated expression. It's hard to believe that these figures were ever pumpkins!


Note: Ray Villafane's website for even more images. He also does sand sculptures you wouldn't believe!

No comments: