Monday 25 July 2011

Amy Winehouse is dead

The news of Amy Winehouse's passing have millions of people mourning her death with eulogies and belated tributes.

I for one missed getting on the Winehouse bandwagon and will admit I don't know any of her work – I am sure I have heard it on the radio, but I did not know it was an Amy Winehouse number. I have never bought any of her music, or even compilations in which she featured.

Which in a indirect way also means I did NOT pay for her drug habits or any of her addictions. You can romanticise that Amy joined the 27 Club – which features great musicians that all died when they were 27 – but her death is all too real.

Jim Morrison, who incidentally is also a member of the 27 Club, once said “it's better to burn out than fade away.”

The statement is very rock-n'roll – oozing with bad boy charms, a very anti-establishment position. But even if I agree with it in spirit, I could probably not live it to the tee.

Sadly Amy Winehouse had lost the plot. She pushed herself to burn both sides of the candle – had she used her energy to write lyrics or compose music, she might have lived forever in her fans. Now the only person who will truly mourn her in two years time will probably still be her dealer.

I don't wish to talk ill of the dead (too late!), but all the eulogies and tributes be paid to her over the internet, words of appreciation that mean nothing to the person who it is for. Amy Winehouse is dead. Nothing can touch her anymore.

In way Amy Winehouse's passing symbolises something that I have always held dear... it is important to take the time to let people know that we care when they are around. Arguments with that pushes families apart, misunderstandings over silly ego trips that lead to the estrangement from a once old friend are all silly really considering the regret that we eventually suffer when it is too late to make amends.

Some people loved Amy Winehouse for sure for her talent, others derided her for her lifestyle. Today Amy Winehouse is dead because her lifestyle proved beyond her talent to recover. Another lost opportunity to make amends.

Following is a clip from a Amy Winehouse concert in Belgrade last month that I discovered on youtube. I found it pertinent because it reveals her decline, her vulnerability and her utter state of helplessness. She had lost the plot. She looked too weak and alone to fight it out with her own demons.



She may have taken the path to 'burn out,' but me fears that in this age of instant gratification she will all too soon also fade away.

Rest Amy Winehouse.

No comments: