Wednesday 25 May 2011

Forgiveness: is it easier to ask for?

As I work I usually have the radio playing in the background and sometimes a song or a snippet of news catches my attention.

Very recently a song by Human League (remember them?) titled 'Human,' got me thinking...

I loved the song from when I had heard it all those years ago, but time and distance had faded the imagery of the lyrics.

The lyrics were quite simple and the music 'synthetic' as New Wave of the 80s sounds go – but as someone whose mind formulated itself in the 1980s the sound had a warmth (almost homesick trigger) to it.

'Human' was a song of betrayal and of a man asking for forgiveness for an regrettable indiscretion made while his lover was away. Philip Oakey, the voice and songwriter for Human League, blamed the weakness on being 'only human,' simply made of “flesh and blood,” “just a man” and so “born to make mistakes.”

All this time he asks his lover to “dry her eyes,” and find it in her heart to forgive him for the slight.

When the lover finally speaks, she does so with devastating effect by uttering the following words: “The tears I cry aren't tears of pain; They're only to hide my guilt and shame. I forgive you now I ask the same of you, while we were apart I was human too”

The song ends almost immediately after that confession.

Incredible!

So what do you think happened after that? The tables had turned and it was now SHE who had betrayed HIM. I think it apt that every listener is given the opportunity to decide for him or herself the fate of the two.

[Those who have not heard the song (or want a familiar blast from the past) click on the youtube clip below or simply click here for the lyrics.]

In a sense most of us probably face similar dilemmas when it comes to forgiveness (for any real or imagined slight to our ego) – often times it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to give it ourselves. I earnestly believe it is very few of us who can really rise up to the challenge.

But then it is probably this hypocrisy what makes us all 'human' after all.

In my mind it is right to forgive and forget... but in my case, thanks to my brain is an attic theory, I usually forget even if I forget to forgive.

The real question, however, is whether it is the forgiving or often the not being able to forgive that makes us human? I would love to hear from you about what you think. Up for the challenge?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to your post! I was writing an email of apology as the lady who screwed up and linked the song. This tune encapsulated how I felt. WOuld you happen to know of any other New Wave songs that have forgiveness themes?

Denise

Talat Kamal said...

Dear Denise, it must have been difficult to have left a message when you are feeling so vulnerable. I really appreciate that you liked the post and that you took the time to comment.

In this hard time, I can just remind you that all things pass, and these feelings of regret and pain will pass too... and hopefully you will come out of it stronger.

As for other new wave songs with forgiveness as themes, not really sure. "Careless Whisper" by Wham? "Jealous Guy" by John Lennon; "If you don't know me by now," by Simply Red; "Tears" by Bee Gees; . Not exactly new wave... but beautiful words nonetheless.