Sunday 6 May 2012

Tipping the gravy train

As I carve this blog post out of thin air, it dawns on me that today would be the first anniversary of my starting this blog on a more regular basis.

It also dawns on me (bright person that I am, some things are all too obvious) that my commitment had waned somewhat from month ten onwards. I had a burst of inspiration back in February of this year, but alas it was as short lived as political stability in the land that I call my home.

This blog post also marks my first post, since twenty-oh-six or seven, that I am writing and posting from Dhaka, having arrived back in my hometown after a welcomed (and thoroughly unexpected) two-year hiatus.

The city I left two years ago was plagued with its share of problems, not least of which were acute power shortage and perennial traffic congestion. Two years have gone to no apparent betterment (unless we account for the fact that the problems have grown) but now I find that the country is in the midst of escalating political instability to heighten the everyday challenges faced by the unfortunate denizens of this city.


As a student back in the day when traffic and power were not significant issues, political instability, however, was still evident in the hangover suffered over the previous thirty years; starting with the separation from the British Raj and following geo-political separation based on religious grounds, which culminated in the eventual separation along political ideals and the birth of Bangladesh in 1971. 

[Note: the period I refer to is ten years thus from the cutting of the umbilical cord (both figuratively and biologically)]

Which in a nutshell implies that the country has rarely ever enjoyed political stability and that the economic growth and development we have enjoyed has been powered not so much by the political leadership as it has by the private sector.

What's more, the corruption and nepotism that had been constant compatriots in the public sector, has, in the last twenty years (ever since 'democracy' came to being in Bangladesh), been cleverly privatised by individuals who rather than help tip the gravy bowl over have tipped it towards themselves and chosen to remain mum.

I have always been rather vocal in private circles (and not too public ones as well) against the ineffectual politicians and the political system, as well as the staggering levels of corruption that is clearly evident in a country where the PCI is probably lower than USD 1200.

How else could one explain away million dollar automobiles worth not even a quarter of the price being paid for them (and that too for roads that are in no way suited for said car's performance credentials), or million dollar apartment homes that open up to blank walls or literally drying undergarments in the apartment block next door – there is always someone's dirty laundry for all to see.

This leaves hapless people like me to raise the alarm – perhaps perpetually to indicate that I have been left out of the gravy train! This is not to say there are no honest people in this country anymore, but it plays strong credence to my theory that most of the people who remain honest is because the opportunity to be otherwise has evaded them.

To that end, I would like to be tested.


No comments: