Monday 4 July 2011

Loud and proud

Ever notice the boisterous person in a group? The person who naturally assumes control of a group and tries to bolster authority (albeit all in good humour; at least until someone else in the group tries to assume control as well and then the tempers begin to soar).

I never understood the need to take on such control over a group – in what is guaranteed to be a thankless job, plagued with ego clashes and undue headaches. But then I would be relegated to the shameful (as far as those doing the relegation are concerned) title of 'not a born leader' or, worse still, 'follower.'

Unashamedly, however, I have been known to be good leader (even if I am the only person who knows it), it's just that I do not feel a compulsion to have to take the lead in every single encounter – my ego is not frail like that to only be able to give orders but not take it.

The problem is that when you have too many 'leaders' you have a winning formula... to ultimately lose. Leaders in my mind, look, listen, understand,and then act – most people think that leadership starts with acting first. This sprouts from an unhealthy prostate of the mind – too much ego and too frail a self-worth, where 'taking control' is all too often mistaken to also mean 'getting respect.'

No comments: